Day 2: Electric Boogaloo

Today I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to greet the world.  I was the first up in the flat and got most of my morning routine done before the others crawled out of bed.  I was packed and ready to go and waiting for my flatmates to leave the house.  We made it to school just barely on time and I managed to get to class only a little late.


First lecture went smoothly, mostly introduction stuff.  Second lecture was mind numbing but I made it through.  Third lecture was mostly review but I survived.  Then things started to go down hill.  Brain numb from being awake before 7 and having 3 back to back to back lectures I forgot about 4th lecture and went to go get the study guide bound for that class.  About 10 minutes late I remembered the class, but had to wait for my study guides.  I used that time to also return my lab manual for the lab that I got an exemption for, so it wasn’t totally wasted.  I ended up being about 20 minutes late to the lecture, and still getting good notes.


After fourth lecture was a 1 hour lunch break where I ate the last of my leftover fried rice and chatted with some third year friends.  After lunch was fifth lecture (that’s right, an extra Biochem lecture just for us), which was more review for me, and then anatomy lab.


Lab was fun, we got sorted into groups of 4 or 5 (my table has 5) and assigned a dog.  Ours looks like a black lab/pit bull cross.  We named him buddy.  Today was mostly a safety briefing followed by a short lab where we exposed the muscles of the shoulder and palpated on an un-preserved, recently dead, dog.  The recently dead dog was much kinder for a bunch of first years to palpate than a live animal, nobody got bitten and nobody complained.  We focused on the cranial half of the animal (toward the head) and mostly on the forelimb.  We were also issued “bone boxes”, a tupperware full of a whole dog’s worth of bones.  Small dog, not to worry.  At the end of the class we washed up, wrapped our cadaver and put him in the chiller, and went home.


I took the bus, as there is a bus stop right outside our house.  Unfortunately I’m not so sure where the bus stops across the street are, so I guessed and had a slightly longer walk than expected.  The houses also look markedly different in the dark while walking.  Never the less I made it home a little before 6pm, made a sandwich for dinner, and then settled in for a short break on the internet.  Now my break is over and it is time to review my notes from today.


Tomorrow is the first day of the Veterinary Leadership Experience (funded by Hills, the company who makes Science Diet pet foods), so I won’t be posting until Friday at the earliest.  Hopefully I will return recharged and not exhausted.


2 thoughts on “Day 2: Electric Boogaloo

  1. kittona3a3a3 says:

    Wow! Sounds like an exhausting day! I don’t know how you’d do it. But then, Jessi-birds have more brains than kittens do! Also? Cadaver dogs? I should have realized you’d be handling dead dogs, but the thought never crossed my mind. Ick.

  2. nzvetstudent says:

    It was really rough…but we won’t have that schedule again so its all good…the cadaver dogs are actually really cool and we take really good care of them…they are going to go through this semester and next semester with us…so we see them more often than most of our (non-vet) friends lol…i’m actually really fond of Buddy ^_^

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s